About Me

My photo
Gulf Shores, Alabama, United States

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New Classroom Rules, Seven Stupid Mistakes and
Seven Brilliant Things


NEW CLASSROOM RULES
from Education Innovation
**My Favorites**
1. Come to school every day, unless you would rather just go on line. **less restrictions will result in less rebellion**
4. Bring required materials, including your laptop and cell phone every day. **less restrictions will result in less rebellion**
6. Don't Talk to your neighbors, unless you are sharing your ideas, asking for help or giving help. **less restrictions will result in less rebellion**
8. Do not cheat, but remix, re-purpose, and sample other peoples’ work and ideas and give them credit. **former approaches to "Cheating/Plagiarism" hinder creative thinking**
15. Know what you are supposed to be learning, why, and what you will do with the knowledge. **too many teachers assume that we students ALREADY know these things**


SEVEN STUPID MISTAKES TEACHERS MAKE WITH TECHNOLOGY
from Doug Johnson via Education World
**My Favorites**
1. Not backing up data. **something I need to take heed to**
5. Believing that one's teaching style need not change to take full advantage of technology. **something my former teachers weren't aware of when I was experiencing Middle and High School during the booming age of the Internet**
6. Ignoring the intrinsic interest of tech use in today's kids. Kids like technology. Not using it as a hook to motivate and interest them in their education is stupid. **YES, STUPID. I completely agree**

SEVEN BRILLIANT THINGS TEACHERS DO WITH TECHNOLOGY
**My Favorites**
1. Empower kids with technology.
2. Creatively find and use resources. **even as easy as showing your students the result of a Google search of the subject matter you are studying, once they see how many OTHER people care about it, I know you will intrigue at least one of your students**
3. Make conferencing real-time.
4. Put kids in touch with the world. **students would rather learn about the Fall of the Berlin Wall if they could, for example, have a conversation with someone who was there before, during AND after its existence**
5. Accept the role of co-learner.
6. Use the kids' own deviced to teach them.
7. Delight in discovery, the newness, and the fun technology holds.

**These are all my favorites. I'm going to make a mental note to make a poster of these rules to display for myself in my classrooms.**




Doug Johnson's Wiki
Looks like a great Resource!!

No comments:

Post a Comment