About Me

My photo
Gulf Shores, Alabama, United States

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

ACCESS: Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide


The Alabama ACCESS Distance Learning Initiative was launched on November 1, 2004. I was shocked when I read this because I attended an Alabama public high school from 2003 - 2007, and I had never heard of the program since classes at the College of Education. My school did have a dual enrollment option, for only one course. I'm sure it was a part of my school but it never crossed my path.

ACCESS is what it sounds like. A program that Alabama implements statewide, that uses the technology of computers and the Internet to allow students to go to classes (online) that aren't offered at their school, with qualified instructors

Overall, this program seems to be an appreciated one; also, fairly successful with "75% of students and 82% of teachers involved in ACCESS expressing that their virtual school experience was as good as or better than that for traditional courses".

2009-2010 ACCESS
Video Conferencing Instruction (VCI)
COURSE OFFERINGS
Subject

Mathematics
Algebra I
Algebra IB
Geometry
Algebraic Connections
Algebra II
Algebra II with Trigonometry
Precalculus
Calculus
AP Calculus AB

English
AP English Language and Composition
AP English Literature and Composition

Social Studies
Honors World History: 1500 to the Present (Grade 9)
United States History to 1877 (Grade 10)
United States History from 1877 to the Present (Grade 11)
Economics
United States Government
AP United States History
AP European History

Science
Forensic Science
Environmental Science
Biology
Chemistry
Advanced Chemistry
Physics
Human Anatomy and Physiology

Foreign Language
French I
French II
French III
German I
German II
German III
Latin I
Spanish I
Spanish III
Mandarin Chinese I

Other Required
Health Education
Computer Applications

Electives/Career
Tech Accounting I
Bible as Literature
Business Technology Applications
Advanced Business Technology Applications
Education and Training
Floral Design and Interiorscaping
Poetry
Sociology
ACT Preparation

Other course offerings are web-based instruction courses. Just about the same amount as the previous section of course, in most of the same subjects. ACCESS also provides Alabama High School Graduation Exam Remediation Materials. Hopefully in my future schools this program or one similar to it will be a useable program for me and my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment