About Me

My photo
Gulf Shores, Alabama, United States

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ken Robinson on Education and Creativity

As a high school senior about to graduate, I was asked to come up with a senior quote. A saying that would read only under my senior yearbook picture "forever". Five minutes before quotes were due to the yearbook staff, I chose a quote by Albert Einstein, "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education". This talk actually brought two things to my attention about this quote; that it is true and false.
First, this talk proved my quote and Albert Einstein wrong; because curiosity, creativity and originality do not survive formal education these days. The priorities in the education system are gravely mistaken as accurate and well thought out. Classes and activities that would expand children's' minds creatively, are stifled by academics. It's true that creativity should be seen as just as important as literacy in education, but it clearly is not.
Secondly, after watching Ken Robinson speak, I do believe that Albert Einstein was right. It is a miracle, but it does seem that curiosity has survived formal education. With the technological advances that this world has seen in the past 20 years there's no way its not true. However, I agree with Mr. Robinson, a balance needs to be found.

1 comment:

  1. But not all curiosity survives. So the miracle is limited in its applicability!

    ReplyDelete